People who get cocky in the mountains often die there. People who don’t follow the basic rules may never make it down. That’s what happened in 1996 on the tragic Everest climb when sixteen died. As climber extraordinaire, Ed Viesturs, says, reaching the summit if only half the climb.
Thankfully, Jackie is cancer-free today and still hiking. We believe that at least part of her success and health today is due to utilizing high country practices and principles. The mountains have more to teach us and others.
I’ve written more about his in my new book Never Quit Climbing as well.
In our lives today, we are busier than ever before. We think technology has streamlined many tasks, but instead we are given more tools that give us more and more to do with less time to do it. We are stressed and overwhelmed. The phrase “time management” has become taboo, since it implies there are different ways to cram even more into our already overflowing lives.
We have been lead to believe that if we don’t multitask every minute of our day we will not be productive. This can’t be farther from the truth. Successful people have long realized that focus is the key to being productive.
Most of what we say and do is not essential. If you can eliminate it, you’ll have more time, and more tranquility. Ask yourself at every moment, ‘Is this necessary?’ ~Marcus Aurelius
Increasing your focus means you should get up each day, looking forward to what you can achieve. Being focused means you are making progress towards what is most important to you. You will feel a greater sense of productivity and fulfillment.
Learn why focus is important in both your personal and professional life in the following pages. You’ll learn tips and strategies on gaining and keeping your focus so you can be productive in everything you do. Multitasking is one of the most overrated skills people claim to have. In this report you’ll find out why you shouldn’t be multitasking, and what to do instead.
Why Focus is important
Being focused on one thing for a certain period of time allows you to do a better quality of work, more work gets done quicker, and your creative ideas flow easier. Being focused on one task at a time is less stressful on your mind. And being less stressed allows you be happier.
It’s difficult for people to remain focused on one task for a variety of reasons. For one, we live in a world where we are constantly bombarded with TV, radio, cell phones, Internet social media, as well as a much larger population that lives closer together than ever before.
It’s difficult to get completely away from all these distractions. One way is to go to a room where you can shut your door and turn off your phone and email notifications.
- When you focus on a single task, avoiding distractions, your brain becomes focused on that task alone. This lets you complete that task much more quickly than if you are trying to complete two or more tasks at once. For instance, let’s say you need to write a blog post, do your bookkeeping for the week and research information for an upcoming speech. The best thing to do is to set aside all but one task. So, for this example, you want to give all your attention writing your blog post. That means turning off the TV, cell phones, social media pings, closing your door and putting all your attention on writing.
- By giving all your attention to the task without distraction, you can get it done much more quickly and with fewer mistakes. Your work will be higher quality as well. Another benefit to being focused is that your creativity will kick in too. You’ll come up with new ideas associated with the task at hand.
- Being constantly connected to others and having many distractions that take away your focus can affect your stress levels as well as your productivity. When you aren’t focused, you don’t get as much done as you could if you were truly focused on the task you’re doing.
- Focusing on one thing for a certain period of time helps you think better. Having your mind scattered over several tasks at once keeps you from thinking about what you are actually doing. You only have time to complete a task quickly before you must move on to the next one. All the while you are trying to remember everything that has to be done. When you focus, you are able to think about only one thing for that period of time.
- Focusing allows your subconscious to do the work. Think about when you learned to ride a bike or drive a car. It was difficult in the beginning, but when you began focusing on what you were doing, your subconscious took over and helped you learn. The same is true in your everyday tasks. Once you begin focusing solely on one task, your subconscious helps you do them quicker and easier.
- It’s important to focus on one task at a time to become more productive, do better quality work and be less stressed. Focusing can help you be more creative and have more happiness.
Multitasking is Overrated
- If you’re like many people you spend most days multitasking. You’re probably so used to multitasking that you don’t even realize when you’re doing it. After all, it’s a skill many employers look for in their employees. Many people believe multitasking saves them time. There are many reasons why multitasking is bad. It’s better to focus instead though. Focusing lets you concentrate on one task or thought at a time, helping you create a better result for each task.
Many people like to multitask because they become bored working on one task at a time.
Why is multitasking bad?
You have to switch from task to task. This takes time for your mind to change into the right mindset for the new task. You have to take the time to remember where you left off.
- Multitasking leads to attention and memory loss. According to a study by Harvard Professor Clifford Nass, in findings published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, people who use online social media and other forms of electronic communications have trouble focusing their attention and have lower scores on memory tests.
- Cognitive performance is diminished. A recent study by Zheng Wang, a professor at Ohio State University, showed that multitasking caused students to feel more productive, but showed they were actually reducing their cognitive skills abilities such as studying.
- It turns people off when you are interacting with them. People who multitask often find themselves coming in contact with others. If you only half pay attention to them, answering texts and phone calls while talking to them, you will lose their respect.
- Multitaskers lose productivity. Switching between tasks is counter-productive. You lose time and concentration every time you switch to a different task.
- Multitaskers are less likely to finish one quality project. They may finish all their tasks for the day, but they will most likely be sub-par than if they had focused solely on one to completion.
Multitasking makes it difficult to focus entirely on each task you are doing. You are thinking about emails you have to respond to when writing a report and the phone calls you need to return even while you are thinking about the next task on your to-do list. This type of working environment doesn’t do anything but cause you stress. Instead of multitasking among several tasks, you should prioritize your tasks and break them up into workable time chunks.
Tips to Improve Focus.
Maybe you want to focus on a single task, but find yourself easily distracted. You find it difficult to focus on what you are doing because you find your mind wandering, you’re worrying about
everything or maybe you just have way too many things you need to do to make a choice of just one task to start with.
Here are some valuable tips on how to improve focus.
Listen to music to help improve your focus. Really concentrate on the music. Try to focus on a single instrument.
Cut goals into small targets.
Having an end goal in mind while working on the tasks to achieve it can frustrate you because you target goal might be too big or difficult. Your results won’t be quick, and it may seem like you aren’t getting any closer to the end. Instead of working toward the ultimate end goal, break it down into smaller, more achievable goals you can reach within a few days. Then cross each smaller goal off your list as you achieve it.
Work within your body’s most comfortable time period. Maybe you work best early in the morning before sunrise. Or late at night. Work when you are most productive. For example many authors get up early to do their writing, while artists often do their best work late at night.
Have you ever eaten a big meal for lunch when working only to feel lethargic and weighed down all afternoon? Eating a heavy meal slows you down and makes you sleepy. If you need or want
to, you can go on a small juice fast on a regular basis. It will keep you alert and help keep your body in good physical condition.
Exercise your mind and body every day. Do crossword puzzles. Engage in lively discussions. Build something that’s creative. A simple 30 minute walk every day is all you need to keep your body healthy.
You may need to push yourself some when you’re feeling lazy. If you are hitting a mental roadblock, though, take some time away from the task. Do something else until you can regain your focus on the original task.
Learning to improve you focus will take time but it is worth it. Begin by implementing one or two of these tips into your day to begin changing how well you can become focused.
Strategies to Improve Focus
You’d be surprised by how many people lose track of where their time goes. They might think they are focused on a single task, but are they really? One way to find out is to keep track of how you spend your time for a week. You might find out you’ve been wasting time on little things like checking Facebook once an hour.
It’s never been harder to stay focused than at this time in history. We are distracted by technology and everything happening around us. You can regain focus though by doing different exercises that can help you build your concentration.
How to Deal with Focus Issues
You probably already know how hard it is to focus on something. Focus issues are often the result of different things like boredom, lack of interest or even fatigue. Concentration can often be attributed by how motivated and interested we are in the task.
There are ways to deal with focus issues.
Supplements can help you when you are having focus issues. Vitamins like the B complex group, Biotin or vitamin H and lecithin all help improve your memory.
Eating the right foods can help you better focus as well since you will be getting the supplements from the foods to help with brain health. Foods like lean meat, beans, oranges, peanut butter and oysters.
Consult with your physician if you find you can’t focus on any one thing for any length of time. Lack of focus can be a symptom of several different conditions, including depression. Get a thorough checkup to rule out any physical causes of your lack of focus issues.
When working on projects on your computer and online, make sure you only have tabs open that are relevant to what you are doing. This keeps you from getting distracted by all that fun information floating around the Internet.
Make your tasks routine. Set up a routine for tasks that you do every day. For example, check your email and social media at the same time every day. Just like you probably have a routine when you wake up, you should also have a routine when working.
Separate your day into a time for creating, time for work and communication, and time for yourself. Split the day up in whatever way works best for you.
Dealing with focus issues causes your productivity to drop. By learning how to take care of your focus issues through your diet, exercise and routines, you can be more productive.
Eat healthy and nutritious foods to keep your brain strong and able to concentrate. Exercise daily, meditate daily and take time to enjoy nature and your family.
Take a look at these 7 useful ideas and use them to see how you get along:
Many people wish to plunge in at the deep end and change things over night, but if you wish to succeed, it is best to start small and increase because sustaining positive habit does take a great deal of willpower. Research shows that willpower resembles a muscle, once you use it, it burns out, and when it's tired it needs to stop. The solution is to start small without using a lot of willpower. So if its exercises we're discussing, rather than embarking on 50 pushups a day, start with five. Always establish your habit behavior first, not increasing the amounts until what you have started becomes a natural part of you.
2. Get linked to your good habit
Maybe you've started a project at the office and worked doggedly on it. You type of don't wish to let it go as you think about it as 'yours'. But we can use this mindset to our advantage, as a visual reminder of the investment you have made in your good habit. It's a great idea to get a calendar, with a marker alongside it, marking the date you started and watching its progress-- with the intention of never breaking the chain.
3. Are your objectives clear?
Being serious regarding your new positive habits means eliminating non-serious intentions. Research, once more, shows that you are a lot more likely to complete if you have analyzed your plans beforehand and you know exactly what you will do and when. It's no good saying, 'I think I will exercise 3 times a week'. You need to actually start making it happen, otherwise, you won't hack it. It is a good help if you plan your goals beforehand using a detailed goal planner.
4. Rejoice in victories
When you are managing yourself well with your positive habits, reward yourself. Rewarding yourself releases good-feeling chemicals in the brain, feelings of pride and pleasure. It equips you to continue with your good habits and create bigger wins later on.
Also Read: How To Keep Focus On Long Term Goals
5. Create your own surrounding
Lot of times, our environment is what drives our behavior. Create your environment and shape it to support your positive habits. Each of your new habits will require energy to do it done and the more energy and action need to follow it through causes a person to become less likely to complete with it. Maybe, rather than finishing a book, you rather watch TV. Now place your book where the TV is and move the TV to another room. Get the drift? It's creating the right environment so you can promote the change.
6. Supporters will support you
People whom you stay with or whom you come into contact everyday with can influence on your behavior a lot. As an example, if your best friend ends up being overweight, you increase the risk of turning into obese yourself by as much as 57%! Research and experience show us that we type of feel similarly and even act sometimes the same as individuals we spend a great deal of time with. That means you need to be with the same type of people who think like you. If you want positive things to happen in your life, you can't surround yourself with pessimists. You need positive people around you who make you feel positive and act positively.
Regretfully, 99% of people who set adventurous goals don't execute them because they don't plan them out. You can't be responsible for positive changes and habits if you have not thought, prepared for and put them into motion. A goal without consequences is just wishful thinking. You need to make favorable goals and put stakes on your new habits to hold your own self responsible. Setting positive goals, and achieving them requires energy, dedication, and self-control, plus some truly hard work. Do you have what it takes?
Also Read: Be Passionate about Your Goals and Do Not Quit
Inspired? Pin Me!
I wish to show you a few important tips for accomplishing your goals. I published a quick read which will be easy to remember and apply. Print this out and put it where you can view it frequently.
7 Actions to Accomplish Goals
Many people do not know what they want to do with their life. This is among the major reasons that many people live an ordinary life although there are numerous books and workshops on success readily available.
2) CREATE a strategy
Identify a goal or goals and write it down (even small goals are fine.) After discovering a goal you truly want to accomplish, create a strategy, being as functional as possible. List the actions you need to take, like enrolling in a training program, reading a book, searching for a job, etc, that will get you closer to accomplishing your goal/s.
3) COMPLY wit your checklist
Do something about it and comply with the steps on your checklist. Do not wait on things to take place.
4) Create a BACK-UP plan
If a specific strategy does not work, search for an alternate one.
5) ANALYZE your goals routinely
Some goals may not be worth accomplishing. Situations and people change. Many goals lose their value. It is a great idea to re-examine your goals routinely and remove the meaningless ones.
6) AFFIRM and PICTURE your goals
Belief that your goal/s has been ACHIEVED already and envision yourself seeing, feeling and smelling your goal/s. make use of all your senses. If you do not nullify your affirmations with doubts and non-belief, your subconscious mind will take them in, and give you even more aspiration and drive.
Do not affirm and picture your goals without doing anything about it. Do whatever is needed to bring your goal/s into fulfillment.
Trust your gut instinct, new ideas and possibilities that show themselves, and accept help from other individuals.
In an еffоrt tо dеtеrminе my lоng tеrm goals (bоth реrѕоnаllу аnd professionally), I was fоrсеd tо firѕt ask mуѕеlf thе fоllоwing ԛuеѕtiоnѕ:
…аnd thеn thе much mоrе unѕеttling question:
Dо MY actions represent MY truе рriоritiеѕ in lifе?
It wаѕ vеrу easy tо write dоwn a list оf thingѕ thаt I think are important tо mе. Things likе mу family, my friеndѕ, mу сliеntѕ, my health, аnd my pets аll immеdiаtеlу come tо mind. Hоwеvеr, mу truе рriоritiеѕ, the things thаt аrе hеld аbоvе thе оthеrѕ in tеrmѕ of imроrtаnсе, аrе not еvidеnсеd bу whаt I write оn thiѕ liѕt. Rather, mу рriоritiеѕ can be seen in my dау-tо-dау BEHAVIOR.
Our priorities (ѕоmе might rеfеr tо thеѕе аѕ “values”) determine оur реrсерtiоn оf the wоrld. To givе уоu an еxаmрlе, I prioritize health аnd fitness. Whеn wаtсhing the Super Bоwl thiѕ уеаr, I ѕаw аn аd for Reebok in whiсh реорlе аrе ѕwinging Kеttlеbеllѕ, doing Muscle-Ups, аnd Rоwing. I was with a lаrgе group оf реорlе, аnd no оnе еlѕе was ѕtruсk by whаt they wеrе seeing (а nаtiоnаllу-tеlеviѕеd соmmеrсiаl prominently featuring реорlе doing CrossFit). Fоr mе, this iѕ асtuаllу thе оnlу commercial (оf thе dоzеnѕ I ѕаw) thаt I асtuаllу took note оf and rеmеmbеrеd.
Hеrе аrе ѕоmе questions tо gеt one ѕtаrtеd:
2. Yоu have 24-hоurѕ in a day, besides ѕlеер, hоw do уоu spend your time?
3. What are уоu dоing when уоu fееl mоѕt еnеrgizеd аnd аlivе?
4. Whеrе аrе уоu mоѕt оrgаnizеd?
5. Whаt engages you аnd сарturеѕ your аttеntiоn аnd fосuѕ the mоѕt?
6. What gоаlѕ have уоu ѕеt that ѕhоw ѕignѕ they аrе соming true?
7. What dо уоu love talking tо оthеr реорlе аbоut?
Once you hаvе some answers for these ԛuеѕtiоnѕ (рrеfеrаblу a few fоr еасh), ѕtаrt to look аt whеrе there are оvеrlарѕ. Thе thingѕ that ѕhоw up thе mоѕt represent your highеѕt рriоritiеѕ, аnd can bе ordered based on thеir frеԛuеnсу. The nеxt ѕtер iѕ tо lооk beyond what еасh bеhаviоr iѕ, аnd look at whаt еасh bеhаviоr represents to уоu. Mауbе wоrk represents financial stability tо you, or mауbе work represents your passion fоr hеlрing others. Lооk at the underlying mоtivаtiоnѕ bеhind уоur аnѕwеrѕ, аnd try to find раttеrnѕ.
For further reading on tips fоr idеntifуing yоur priorities and how to get your priorities straight, see the eBook / Paperback Time Management HACKS to Organize your day
What works for you?
Self-discipline is a very importand habit we all need. No success will ever be achieved without, and no goal will be reached. Below are some tips and strategies shared in our brainstorming session. Thank you to all who participated. What can you add to the list? Please comment below.
Getting up early and out of the bed at the first call of the alrm and bringing the dog for a walk is a great way to increase self discipline. You're up, you're out of bed and you've gotten some fresh air - so the cobwebs are blown off. You can then go home, get your cup of joe and get cracking on whatever it is you need to do, happy in the knowledge you've not spent half an hour wasting time thinking about how tired you are. -Cormac, My Online Marketer
The first is to make a morning routine. My days often get away from me, but not usually in the first hour. So whatever I find difficult to work into my day, but important to do so, is what I do first. For me, that means exercise. The first thing I do is a suite of stretches. The second thing I do is push-ups. Then I get hungry. which is quite another story.
The other thing I do is reduce temptation. When my mother-in-law bakes tempting treats and leaves them on the counter, I remove them. I hide them. Otherwise, I would take a little slice "just to taste it" every time I pass by. Unfortunately, I don't always hide the treats and I do sometimes take a taste. Hiding treats is a great way to exercise self-discipline...as long as the place you hide them is not in your mouth. -David Leonhardt, THGM Writers
Cultivating Self Discipline
In my experience self-discipline isn’t about consistently doing something. It is about knowing what you truly want and identifying realistically what changes it will take to get there. If you set reasonable small steps to your goal you are more likely to cultivate self-disciple and boost your self-esteem along the way. -Lianna Tsangarides, LCSW
I try to walk 90 mins a day - I find I MUST walk at least 40 mins before breakfast, or I never do ANY.
I try to count calories - If I deviate even a small bit early in the day, I end up blowing 2 days calories in one.
Moral - Early day resolve is most important. -Philip Turner, Time Money Problem
What can you add to the list? Please comment below.
Action List for Business Start-Up.
1 What are you going to sell or which service will you deliver?
Ask yourself the following:
- Am I an expert in something? (Examples writing, baking, or home decorating) Can I use this knowledge to start a business?
2 Choose a name for your business.
Your business name should stand out, and tell customers about your product or service.
- Choose a name that will appeal to your target market, allows you plenty of room to expand. A person should be able to pronounce the name easily remember it.
A business plan is a summary of the past, the present, and future of your business. To draw up a business plan, you need the following information (To name just a few):
- Your business name and contact details.
- A description of your business.
- Information on what staff you will use, and their qualifications.
- Information about the potential risks involved and suitable insurance.
- The goal of your business.
- The products you want to sell or services you will be offering.
It's better to make use of your own money, but if you need financing, you can use your business plan and financial projections to apply for a loan from a financial institution.
Answer the following questions before you seek finance:
- How much money will you need to pay your own private monthly bills until you start earning an income?
- How many products do you need to sell before you break even, where your expenses and income balance each other? Many small businesses fail because of cash-flow problems - not because they were not profitable.
5 Get all the legal aspects in order
Legal aspects differ from country to country and depending on your type of business you will have to confirm which licenses you need. In most of the cases, the following would apply:
- You will have to apply for a license if you plan to sell food or drink, plan to open an entertainment venue or day care center for children.
- If you want to sell alcohol, you will have to apply under the licensing laws at the provincial liquor authority for a liquor license.
- You have to register your company with your country's Revenue Service for the relevant tax.
- If in doubt about your skills as an accountant, you should instead appoint an accountant who can review your books and your annual tax return submission.
6 Open your bank account and get insurance.
Open a separate bank account for your business - it will help your company's finances and keep your personal finances separate, simplifying the bookkeeping and tax. Your company must be registered to open a business account. All the major banks offer business accounts.
Get separate insurance for your business as your home insurance will not cover your business affairs. Also, include public liability.
7 Promote your business
Write down your marketing plan with your goals and how you will achieve it.
Include the following:
- Who is your target market?
- The benefits of your product or service.
- Your marketing methods and tactics.
- Your marketing budget.
Read regularly through the marketing plan to remind yourself of what you want to achieve and how. Be clear about your goals and set up a realistic plan. Regularly review your plan. Note that you may not make false claims about your product or service.
Further reading - the ebook and paperback “Start your Own Business"
"Action is the foundational key to all success."
Change Your Thoughts
Law Of Attraction
Procrastination / Laziness
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.